This blog

This is my journey. My journey of changing my lifestyle to that of a healthier one. This is the journey of a young single mother setting out to lose weight and also to become the best version of herself possible. This is one person doing things the right way. Losing weight and becoming healthy with no gimmicks, no weight watchers, atkins, crash diets, crazy pills or wraps, not even a gym membership. This is not about temporary fixes, but about a lifestyle repair. This could be the story of your next door neighbor, the girl at the park in the mom jeans, the woman you just judged walking with two little boys in each hand, I'm your average everyday Jane, and this is my journey. Becoming a new me. The right way.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Thigh gaps

There's been a lot of hype lately about a thigh gap. I don't know who came up with it, why it's so amazing, or anything like that. As far as things go for me, I'm all about the collar bone. I love a nice sexy collar bone, thigh gaps optional. Ya know?

Anyway. Since it is such a popular thing I figured it's worth a brief discussion here. First, a lot of people claim you're fat if you don't have a thigh gap, then those (who are usually self conscious) claim that anyone with a thigh gap is unhealthy. Neither of these statements are true.

Whether or not you can actually obtain a thigh gap your body type will definitely play a key roll in this. For example, your hip structure. It would be much more difficult to obtain a thigh gap if you have narrow hips, and there is unfortunately no painless way to change your bone structure.

I'm going to say this once, and only once (but that's a total lie I'll probably say it a lot) a thigh gap is in NO way shape or form a good indicator on your health or fitness.

For some to achieve a thigh gap they may have to be wildly underweight. While others may have a thigh gap naturally. Some may even have one when they start losing weight but as they tone and build muscle in their legs lose the gap. Even when I fell in the slightly over weight category at one time in life even I had a thigh gap. Not once did I ever think this was something awesome or picture worthy. I thought "damn my hips are huge I'll never be a size 1!" To be honest, I had never even noticed my thigh gap until I had gained a lot of weight and realized my legs were rubbing together and sore! They were simpler times back then.

I don't honestly know who started this trend. But I do know that the epidemic is becoming a problem. Don't starve yourself over your legs for God sake! The most important part should not be to obtain a thigh gap. If you want to lose weight that's great, but your main goal should always be that of healthiness. A thigh gap, a collar bone, and a flat stomach are not adequate measurements of healthiness or fitness. Don't ever forget that!



With all of this being said. I like to work out my thighs and my butt. To lose weight you're going to have to incorporate cardio into your life. If you're looking at toning your body that's a whole different area. I know when someone starts, say, running and they lose a lot of weight but still have a little pouch left of a belly that just doesn't want to go away it can be really frustrating! Maybe your thighs are being quite stubborn and you haven't the faintest clue what sort of exercises you can do to work them. I'm all about toning, and here are a few thigh busting exercises that require little to no equipment. (Pulling a few pictures from pinterest. I don't any of these photos or the people in them.)

Butterfly stretches.
If you aren't familiar with a butterfly stretch sit down put the flats of your feet together and pull your heel as close to your body as you can.

Lunges, and side Lunges too.



Squats. (They're good for your toosh too!)



Pull a chair out. Lay on your left side. Place your right foot on the chair and let your left foot hoover underneath the seat. They're hard. Switch sides.

Wall sits.



Lay on your side again with your legs together and slightly bent at the knee. Keeping your feet together and the bottom leg on the ground lift your other leg.

Scissor kicks.

Since you're already down there throw in a few donkey kicks for your glutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment